“Imagine that you can live forever and life is totally free from pain. You can see all things with clarity, unblinkered by irrelevant details. You will never fear, never sicken, never lose control. That is what the Cybermen are offering.”
The Doctor takes his new companion, Grant, back home to Agora — only to find a world in the thrall of some of his oldest and deadliest foes.
The Cybermen have taken control and set up a breeding colony to propagate their own race. While the Doctor languishes in a cell at the mercy of the sadistic Overseers, Grant joins up with a group of rebels and works on a desperate rescue bid.
With time running out, the rebels move into action. But will their solution prove more deadly than the problem itself?
- Killing Ground was the twenty-third novel in the Virgin Missing Adventures series. It was written by Steve Lyons.
- Hegelia is an expert on Cyberhistory. She is one of the most respected ArcHivists from the ArcHive.
- ArcHivist Hegelia undergoes the Cyber-conversion process to satisfy her curiosity about what the process feels like.
- This book is the second and final official appearance of companion Grant Markham in official media.
- The Doctor refers to the painful beginnings of his third regeneration in the TARDIS. (Planet of the Spiders)
- When discussing the subjects of government cover-ups with Grant, the Doctor mentions the Great Intelligence, (The Web of Fear) the Autons, (Spearhead from Space, Terror of the Autons) the Axons (The Claws of Axos) and the Zygons. (Terror of the Zygons)
- Earth is still rebuilding after the decade long Dalek occupation. (The Dalek Invasion of Earth)