Carey Mulligan (Sally Sparrow)
David Tennant (The Doctor), Freema Ageman (Martha), Lucy Gaskell (Kathy Nightingale), Finlay Robertson (Larry Nightingale), Richard Cant (Malcolm Wainwright), Michael Obiora (DI Billy Shipton), Louis Mahoney (Old Billy), Thomas Nelstrop (Ben Wainwright), Ian Boldsworth (Banto), Ray Sawyer (Desk Sergeant).
|Written by||Steven Moffat|
|Directed by||Hettie MacDonald|
|Produced by||Julie Garner and Phil Colinson|
A young woman called Sally comes to regret breaking into an old, abandoned house. There the Weeping Angels wait. As people begin disappearing,
Sally intercepts cryptic messages from a mysterious stranger known as the Doctor, who’s trapped in the year 1969. But can she make sense of them before the Angels claim their prize?
- A holographic projection of the Tenth Doctor can be seen in this episode. Earlier projections of the Doctor are those of the Seventh and Eighth Doctors in the television movie, the Ninth seen in “The Parting of the Ways”, and another of the Tenth Doctor‘s projections in “Doomsday”.
- The TARDIS fading away around Sally and Larry is similar to the effect used in “The Parting of the Ways”, where the TARDIS materialises around Rose and a Dalek. A similar trick is used in “The Runaway Bride” where it fades in around the Doctor and Donna, and in Logopolis where it materialises around the Master’s TARDIS.
- The Doctor says “I’m rubbish at weddings, especially my own” when explaining to Sally that he experiences events out of sequence. He has in the past referred to being a father in “The Empty Child” and “Fear Her“, and would do so again in “The Doctor’s Daughter”, and formerly travelled with his granddaughter. The First Doctor is accidentally betrothed to the lady Cameca in The Aztecs. In “The Family of Blood”, the Doctor as John Smith foresees an alternative future as a human where he has a successful marriage and raises a family. The Eighth Doctor also married in the novel The Adventuress of Henrietta Street. In The End of Time The Doctor states that before he answered the call of the Ood, he got married to “Good Queen Bess”, one of the more favourable nicknames of Queen Elizabeth I – this may go some way to explaining the Queen’s anger upon meeting the Doctor at the end of “The Shakespeare Code“. Furthermore, River Song mentions to the Eleventh Doctor in the series 5 finale that he always dances at weddings, playfully alluding to being married herself though not specifying to whom.
- Larry gives Sally the list of DVDs from a folder with a Cunard White Star Line sticker on it. White Star were the operators of the ill-fated RMS Titanic. The Ninth Doctor was photographed in Southampton with a family due to travel on the RMS Titanic; the photograph is shown in “Rose“. A starship modeled after the Titanic is featured in the later Christmas special “Voyage of the Damned” and again in an alternate timeline in “Turn Left” .
- The Doctor would later mention the events of this episode and Sally Sparrow to ‘The Doctor’ in 2008 episode “The Next Doctor”.
- The Angels returned in the episodes “The Time of Angels” and “Flesh and Stone” in 2010
- As is routine for post-2005 Doctor Who, a NEXT TIME trailer for the next episode is shown at the end of the episode.